Five Books That Are Close To My Heart

 

I have been reading for more than 20 years now. During this time, I came across hundreds of books on varied subjects. Some of them have inspired me, some have taught me and some entertained me.

The list of books I like is long but there are only a few that are close to my heart.  These are the books I love and cherish. For the sake of this blog, I thought of sharing with you my top five books. So without further ado let’s get started.

  1.  Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte


What is the book about?

This is a story of a girl called Jane who is orphaned at an early age and is sent to an orphanage. She has an unhappy childhood.

She strives to make an identity for herself and lead an honorable life. After completing her studies in the orphanage school, she gets appointed as a governess and goes on to stay in a big mysterious mansion called Thornfield Hall. Here she falls in love with her employer Mr. Rochester and is about to marry him.

As the mystery of Thornfield Hall unfolds she is forced to leave Thornfield heartbroken. Eventually, she reunites with Mr. Rocheter to lead a happy life.

Why do l like this book?

 I read this book as a teenager and just loved it. I was impressed by Jane’s character who speaks what is there in her heart without hassle.

 This book is special because it is the first book I ever read from start to finish. Before reading this book I had made several unsuccessful attempts to read. This book made me realize that books can also be entertaining just like movies.

After reading this book there was no looking back. I was on a reading spare and read more and more books. I broke my own records by completing some books worth 350 – 400 pages just in a day (what work does a teenager have?). Needless to say, my parents were very happy as I had finally developed a habit of reading they so badly longed for.

 


  2.   You can Win by Shiv Khera


What is the book about?

You Can Win by Shiv Khera is a self-help book. It is a practical guide that talks about how to develop a positive mental attitude to achieve success in life step-by-step. The book contains several relatable stories, poems, and quotes that help understand the concept easily.

Why do I like this book?

Again this book is from my teenage days. This is the first self-help book I could understand back then. Before reading this book I had attempted some other self-help books but they went over my head.

This book is extremely simple and easy to understand.

Although it has been several years that I read this book I can still remember some of the stories, quotes, and poems from this book.

I can recollect the opening story in the book with a strong message on the importance of attitude which goes like this “A child asks a balloon seller if a black color balloon could fly and the balloon seller replies it is not the color of the balloon but what is inside the balloon that makes it fly”

Some beautiful lines

“He worked by day and toiled by night,

He gave up play and some delight,

And when he won people called it Luck!”

What an irony!

  And this quote

“Harder you work luckier you become”. 


  3.  The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand.


What is the book about?

The fountainhead was first published in the year 1943.

This is the story of Mr. Harward Rock an architecture school dropout who believes in himself and his art.  He does not get distracted by other people’s success but competes with himself to deliver the best he can.

 He struggles to prove his skills as an architect and is rejected by society but that doesn’t deter him.  Eventually, he finds clients who are interested in his work and the style of buildings he designs.

Why do I like this book?

I read this book during my college days and was deeply impressed by Mr. Rocks’ character and still am,  What a personality!.

There is so much to learn from him. He is fearless, confident, dedicated and knows his art.

Hats Off to Ayn Rand for conceptualizing such a character and writing about it.

 


  4.       How to make friends and influence people by Dale Carnegie


 

What is the book about?

This is a self-help book published in the year 1936. The book talks about how to develop social skills to make people like you and agree with you. The wisdom in the book holds for all cultural setups.

Why do I like this book?

 The lessons from the book are simple and practical. When I started implementing them in my day-to-day life I saw startling changes in my personal and professional life. It worked.

Now, this is a book I love and promote. I think it’s a must-have book in every household.  I do read and reread this book time and again.

 

 


  5.       The 5 am club by Robin Sharma

What is the book about?

In “The 5 am Club” Robin Sharma talks about taking advantage of the tranquility and quietude of 5 am to run a bespoke morning routine that can help you improve your productivity, strengthen your focus and eliminate distraction

 Why do I like this book?

I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book. It gave me some valuable insights on beating distractions, improving focus, and enhancing productivity. Most importantly it has convinced me to become a morning person and I just love it.

Read a complete book review of this book here.

Hope you liked my list of books, which is your favorite book do share with me by commenting in the comment box below.

Recent Posts

A Prayer That Never Fails by Sadhvi Vrinda Om (Book Review)

The 5 AM Club by Robin Sharma (Book Review)

The Hidden Power of Gayatri Mantra by OM Swami (Book Review)


Comments