3 Low Maintenance Plants


Are you a plant lover? Is your work schedule not allowing you to pursue your interest in plants? Are you looking for low-maintenance plants?

If your answer to any of these questions is a yes, then be assured, you have stumbled on the correct blog.

In our fast-paced lives and demanding work schedules, we hardly get time to pursue our interests.  

Maintaining plants takes a lot of time, patience, and awareness. Even after putting a lot of effort, we often see plants not thriving well and this can be disheartening for us and destructive for our interests. 

Low-maintenance plants are sturdy and would encourage you to pursue your interest and once you are successful you can experiment more and stay ecstatic.


low maintenance plants,plants, ,house plants,indoor plants,office plants


With time and experience, I was able to zero on some sturdy plants that would stay healthy and look happy in all climatic conditions even if watered occasionally.

In this blog, I have listed down my favorite low-maintenance plants for all seasons.

The pictures that you see here are embedded from my Instagram handle @plants.n.decor. Do visit my insta handle and check out my plant pics and fun reels.  

1.   Spider Plant


low maintenance plants,plants, ,house plants,indoor plants,office plants, spider plant
Spider Plant 

The first plant on my list is a spider plant:  This beautiful white and green foliage plant with pups looks amazing in a hanging basket or elevated pots. A native of South Africa this plant thrives very well in Indian weather conditions. 

I generally prefer to keep it outside in my terrace garden and I often get this plant indoors on special occasions. Check out the below picture from the 'Bhajan Sandhya' organized at my place.


low maintenance plants,plants, ,house plants,indoor plants,office plants


There have been times when I have not watered this plant for one whole week, but the plant has always thrived. I have not manured it for ages. Still, it is giving good results.
 
During summers you can make out from the leaves that the plant requires water, water it immediately when you see it in such a state.



How to maintain a spider plant?

Potting mix
  •            General-purpose potting mix.
Pot placing
  •            Place this plant in an area that receives indirect sunlight, do not place it in direct sun, it can harm the plant.

Watering
  • Water the plant once a week or as per the season. 
Propagation
  •            To start the plant, it is always advisable to get a new plant from the nursery.
  •            Spider plant multiplies easily in the planted pot. Once you see it multiplying let it grow in the same pot, the bushier plant looks very nice.

Tip:  clean the leaves with a damp cloth once a week to keep the leaves shiny 


2.       Mother in laws tongue

low maintenance plants,plants, ,house plants,indoor plants,office plants, Succulents, snake plant, mother in laws tongue
mother in laws tongue plant



The second plant on my list is the mother in laws tongue.  Mother in laws tongue also called the snake plant, is known for its long leaves and air purification qualities. I have propagated a lot of these and use them in home décor extravagantly.

snake plant  , low maintenance plants,plants, ,house plants,indoor plants,office plants, Succulents, aloe vera
small snake plant

The smaller version of this plant also looks attractive when planted in a single pot.
The variegated version of this plant is more popular.



How to maintain mother in laws tongue plant?


Potting mix
  •            General-purpose potting mix.

Pot placing
  •             Shady or indirect sunlight is preferable. However, they can thrive in direct sunlight as well. 

Water
  •            Once in 2 weeks 

Propagation
  •            I had randomly placed cuttings of this plant’s leaf in different pots in my terrace garden and after 2 – 3 months, I saw new plants emerging from each cutting.
  •             I keep them in small planters and see absolutely no issue is propagation. They are thriving well. 

Tip: This plant is ideal to grow in the bathroom.


3.       Succulents

low maintenance plants,plants, ,house plants,indoor plants,office plants, succulents


Succulents store water in their leaves and stems and can go without water for many weeks, that is why they are ideal for my list of low-maintenance plants. The succulent’s popularity is catching up in India as more and more people are discovering its water retention capability and durability.  On the flip side, succulents are very costly as compared to other plants sold in a nursery in India.  

Succulents come in various shapes. They are generally small and look interesting.
For this blog, I have chosen to share 3 succulents that are low maintenance. I have actually planted it and forgotten about it. Having said that I do water them and care for them as and when time permits.  

a)       Aloe Vera plant  


low maintenance plants,plants, ,house plants,indoor plants,office plants, Succulents, aloe vera
Aloe vera Plant 

I have been a fan of this plant since I was a teenager due to its skincare capabilities. At home, I have intentionally planted it in a big pot as it multiplies rapidly post-monsoon season. I have gifted a lot of plants from this pot to my friends and family. The above picture shows three baby plants from my big pot.

b)      Zebra plant


low maintenance plants,plants, ,house plants,indoor plants,office plants, Succulents, zebra plant
Zebra Plant
Named after the zebra’s stripes this succulent is my favorite.  This plant is very hard to be killed and grows slowly.

c)       Aloe Vera star plant


low maintenance plants,plants, ,house plants,indoor plants,office plants, Succulents, aloe vera star plant
Aloe Vera Star Plant 

This plant also grows very slowly. I repot it once a year.


How to maintain succulents?

Potting mix
  •          Good mix of soil, sand, manure, and granules. (granules are needed for fast drainage) or succulent mix 

Pot placing          
  •  Shady or indirect sunlight is perfect for their growth. 


Water
  • Once in 2 weeks or water as per the season 

Propagation
  •          The succulents can be grown from their leaves unfortunately, I have not received much success with this method. 
  •           I have seen the succulent flourish and multiply in the pot itself, very slowly. 


Tip: Succulents are ideal for your office desk. 

This brings me to the end of this blog. The above-mentioned plants are also part of the NASA Clean Air Study and are recommended for their air cleaning capabilities. I am obsessed with indoor plants and succulents since they are mostly low maintenance and facelift my home when used in home décor. Frankly, I have not fertilized the soil of these plants for years and they are flourishing very well.

I highly recommend these plants indoors. If you are staying in an apartment where sunlight comes only in the afternoon or sunlight doesn’t come at all go for it.

Did you like my list of low-maintenance plants? Do you also have your list of low-maintenance plants?  Do share with me in the comments section below.

Recent Posts

Empress Garden Flower Show


Comments

  1. Very useful information. I liked the photos too

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very informative.. would like to see some more bloge on indore plants.. love plant decorations..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very informative.. Great work 👍

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I appreciate your list of low maintenance plants.This will help us to fulfil desire of keeping indoor plants without spending more time on its maintenance.

    Nice

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow some beautiful plants and great tips. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment