6 Women Who Inspired Me To Garden

It’s the month of March and the whole world is set to celebrate International Women’s day. Various social platforms are flooded with stories of women who inspire. I too have stories to tell.

They say “If you want to be happy for a lifetime be a gardener”. Gardening is my passion. I have been fortunate enough to have known people who inspired me to embark upon a soothing and fulfilling experience of gardening.

 In this blog, I want to talk about 6 women who are part of my family and who are gardeners. You learn from what you see and I am grateful to each one of them who knowingly or unknowingly taught me to appreciate and nurture nature. 

 

1. My Mom, Mrs Sandhya Wani 


“Did you see the red rose bloom? It looks so beautiful. Go check it out” this is how my mom would wake me up in the mornings. I would go running to the balcony to find the roses( I must be 4 or 5 then).   Red, orange, pink, variegated, and even green, we had all shades of roses in our garden.  I have seen my mom fertilize and prune them and this is how I got my first lessons on gardening and appreciating nature.  

 Today as a successful woman entrepreneur and owner of Kaustubh Pearls she is doing extremely well. Along with her work, she makes sure that the plants are also being taken care of. Now the vegetables come from her backyard garden and fresh flowers enhance the décor of her shop.  Check out some of her creations below.

 

 2. Mrs Sangita Atrawalkar


A women entrepreneur and owner of Ratnanjali, first lady gemologist in Khandesh, anchor, traveler, writer Mrs Sangita Atrawalkar wears many feathers in her cap. Interestingly she excels in all the activities she is involved in. She loves to collect plants and has more than 250 varieties and counting.

Succulents, bonsai, flowers, and foliage she has all of them in her collection.

Whenever I visit her place I always come out impressed by her collection and inspired by her creativity.

“Plants are my biggest stress buster,” she says.

Check out some pics from her collection below.

 

 

3. Mrs Surekha Bharhanpurkar :   

 

Meet Mrs Surekha Bharhanpurker my masi who is a Bhagavad Gita practitioner and teacher. I have always been impressed by her sense of décor with plants. 

She says "Crotons, Pothos, and other foliage plants combined with idols of god enhance the décor and increase the positivity of the environment".  

She made me realize that plants lined up in glass bottles can also look good, they not only stay fresh for many days but also can be propagated once they get roots.

Check out her décor below.

 

 

4. Mrs Sadhana Saraf 


 My DIY lady my mami. Meet Sadhana Saraf woman entrepreneur and owner of Akshay Pearls & Gems.  She has an amazing affinity for art and craft. I have grown up seeing her art. All my gardening DIYs are inspired by her.

Her daughter Aishwarya is taking her legacy forward. Check out her latest creations at art.acts and palettepages

 

5. Mrs Swati Saraf


 The beautiful and vibrant garden of Swati Saraf has always impressed me. A women entrepreneur and co-owner at Sudhakar Yashwant Saraf she also leads a busy life, but that doesn’t deter her love for gardening.

 My granny (nani) Kamal loved gardening. Each morning she would pluck fresh flowers from her garden to offer them to god. She had a good collection of foliage and flowering plants. I would generally visit her twice a year during summer and winter school vacations. She would show me through her garden with so much excitement never missing the recent additions to her garden.

Below is a pic of my nana and nani in their garden.


 Her daughter-in-law Swati has taken her love for plants one step forward by setting up a terrace garden, especially for vegetables.  Here she grows vegetables starting from palak, methi, beans, okra, coriander, etc. the list is long. The yield is sufficient for the family and all this is grown organically.

 Take a glimpse into her garden below.

 

6. Mrs Neha Parashar


  As you enter Neha’s garden you would see a beautiful collection of pothos, aglaonema, hibiscus and succulents greeting you.

I really appreciate the way she balances between home and work and still is able to find out time for gardening.

We exchange cuttings. Most of the time it is me pulling out plants from her pots to which she responds without a frown :) 

checkout her garden pics below.

 

All these women inspire me to garden. As I work more with plants I gain more information about them. To share what I have learned I have started a new blog series on gardening, check out my new blog dedicated to just gardening where you can read about plants, plant-related book reviews, and also shop for gardening products, visit here.

 

Did you like my blog, do share your feedback by commenting in the comment box below.

Also, read

4 Houseplants That Can GrowIn Water

7 Plants that Do Well inBathrooms

Snake Plants : EasiestPotted Plants to Care For



Comments

Post a Comment